Sunday, November 25, 2012

Wood-n-Thoughts?

When I first decided to do a blog I had no idea what to write about or even what a blog was for.  Why did people do blogs?  Was it simply a way to share ideas, or another place where you get to tell people how to do things, or was it more like a journal.   I still don't understand the full meaning of doing a blog, but like so many others, I feel I should.

So how did I come up with the name for my blog?  I thought it was kind of clever myself, but then again, what do I know, I don't even understand doing a blog.   One thing is for sure, I have a passion for woodworking and love to share whatever knowledge I may have with anyone that is interested. Right or wrong, I'll let you be the judge of that.  My thoughts may not be on woodworking alone, but usually has a connection one way or another and my mind seems to race from one subject to another.  Yes; I've been told I'm ADD or ADHD or whatever label that is we like to put on someone who seems to have too much energy and can't keep it focused all the time.  I don't think my mind ever shuts down. 

I can design in my sleep, I will do complete installations in my sleep the night before I actually have to do the installation.  While working on one project, I'll be thinking of the next project I would like to challenge myself with.........and the thoughts go on and on!.

When I first started my blog, it was primarily for a customer of mine that I was doing a project for and I wanted to give them a way of checking up on the progress as I went along.  They lived in Pennsylvania and my shop was in South Carolina.  If you want to check it out or if you followed along at the time, it was all about building their gun cabinet.  The blog was a lot of fun, but I will have to admit, I would forget to take pictures as often as I probably should have, but overall I feel my first attempt at doing a blog turned out OK.  (the customer loved it!).

After that, I seemed to have lost interest in doing the blog, maybe not so much that I didn't want to do it but the simple fact that I really didn't think anyone would be that interested in following me build furniture or cabinets or talk about woodworking, so I pretty much dropped it.

 See, that's how I feel about face book.  I still can't figure out why people think the world is interested in everything they do in their life.  If I want someone to know something or if someone wants to know something about me, just ask me personally.............I don't need to tell the whole world about it!.

Now that I've spouted off about that, why the heck am I writing a blog?   Trust me, I have mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, I feel a blog is a lot like putting it out there on face book, but then on the other hand I keep trying to convince myself that anyone that is following a blog is interested in learning something more then just social gossip. 

So, if I do have any followers, I'll try not to waste a lot of time talking about my social life, putting pictures of my pets, grandchildren,or family reunions on my blog and try to keep it focused on woodworking and my thoughts about things concerning woodworking.

Over the years I've met so many interesting people that taught me so much not only about woodworking, but also about business, how to deal with people and how to deal with myself.  Every day has been a learning experience and each day I try to learn and understand more about woodworking, business, people and myself.

If there is one thing I've learned about woodworking (especially doing woodworking as a profession) is you need to know a lot more then just how to cut a board square! 

I've been writing a book during the past year; How to start a woodworking business, so I may cover a few of the topics here in my blog or at least expand on some of my thoughts about what it takes to start a woodworking business. 

In my last few blog entries, I've been talking about building a model steam locomotive and my plans to finish the entire train.  I would like to switch back and forth from that subject and talking about woodworking in general.    


No comments:

Post a Comment