I started by making the sides for the trucks that included the springs, main cushion blocks and trunnion blocks. Each side consists of 6 different pieces to be manufactured ( 8 sides total). Next came the 16 wheels and 16 wheel flanges. Each wheel is 7/8" dia. x 1/4" thick and each wheel flange is 1" dia. x 1/8" thick. Once I centered, glued and clamped each wheel to the wheel flange I then drilled a 1/4" hole through each assembly for the axle.
Here's a picture that shows one of the wheel and wheel flanges (clamped while glue dries), a couple of the truck sides, one of the truck assemblies before the wheels and axles and one of the completed trucks.
Once I had the truck assemblies built, I made sure they where the right width for my track before they where mounted to the passenger cars. I also did a dry fit to the cars to make sure everything lined up properly and also turned and pivoted the way they are suppose to.
Another picture showing the trucks actually fitted to the car and on the curved track. Everything fits and lines up perfectly.
Now I'll be able to remove the trucks and start the finishing process on those. Once I spray sealer coats on those and steel wool everything down, I will be able to start the final finishing on everything. Right now it's too cold in the shop, so will probably put that off for a little while.
I still have to finish the assembly of the trucks for the second car, but all the parts are made so it's just assembly that's left. So far I have 17 hours in building the trucks and still have 3 or 4 more hours to go before I can start the finishing process.
Tomorrow is the last day of 2012. I hope everyone had a great year and may 2013 be even better.